Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 26, 2010

DIETS :P

I have never been a "dieter". I have jumped on the bandwagon a couple of times long enough to remind myself why they don't work. The key to losing weight for me is by making food compromises with my body type and staying active.

Body type? I dont mean anything scientific by this. I simply mean what I crave and what I need to feel healthy is rarely the same thing. Counting carbs is very popular. If I reduce my caloric intake the way most carb counting diets suggest - I feel dizzy, weak, hungry, moody and fatigued. I dont even think clearly. But I can certainly can cut out the cookies, change to fat free milk, cut out the cheeses and eat more fruits and veggies and feel fine. This tends to be more of a low fat diet and it works a lot better for me.


My Little Tricks:
Its not easy to reverse direction if you have always had trouble with your weight. It takes time - and a lot of it. This isnt just in food preparation this is in thought as well. The one time you dont want to think is when you are hungry. At least this is what I have learned about myself. The trick for me is to plan way ahead. Have those "go-to" snacks (see my banana vice below) already waiting for you. There have been times when I am waiting for my chicken to cook and I am so hungry that I am about to knaw off your arm. This is dangerous for me. No doubt I will suddenly find myself inhaling oreos while watching my chicken breast cook in the oven.

Carrots are another good crutch for me as well as:
Pretzels
Apples
Bananas
Low Fat trail mix
Yogurt


Why and How I Gained some of my weight back over the last few years:

Once again - time. Life gets away from you. You have life changes - wether you are stressed at home or at work or both...moving...super busy...It was a combination of things for me.

The biggest change in my life was going from being incredibly active at work (carpenter) to switching to a desk job (engineering). I started back on some bad eating habits when I was a carpenter - I could physically afford it at that time. My muscle mass had doubled in a year and I was able to work for 10 hours constantly moving, climbing ladders, lifting materials, lifting tools, etc. But when I stopped doing carpentry, I continued to eat the same way.

I packed on 20 pounds very quickly. I moved during this time...twice. I went to school. I had a new relationship, a new puppy, AND a new job. My activity plummited and my energy depleated. I failed to plan meals and revise my eating habits to suit my new life.

Now I am over 30 and I am determine to get those 20 pounds back off. I work out and run regularly but unfortunately this is not enough. Eating clean and lean is the only way to do it for me.
_______________________________________________________

Today's Breakfast:
Yogurt (about 1 cup - FF) with Granola (about 1/4 -1/2 cup)
Coffee (with 2% milk and a teaspoon of sugar)

This starts my day with carbs and sugar but also with omega 3s and protien. This lasts until 11ish... then I need a "crutch" to get me through until lunch.

Lunch:
I started with a banana and a glass of water. I had just started to get hungry and I knew I wanted some carbs which my sandwich was not going to offer. Since there are potato chips and oreos in the house, I thought a banana would help curve my cravings.

Homemade Sandwhich - 1 whole wheat flat bread, 1 tbsp of humus, lettuce, tomato, red onion, 2 tbsp of avocado, lean chicken breast - grilled on a George Forman - I only ate half.

2nd glass of water

I was full after half of my sandwich! The water and the banana helped. I followed it all with a piece of gum - once again hoping to forget about the chips and the oreos in the pantry. Bananas are sweet and fill my belly very well.


Dinner:
I started with an Apple while my sandwich was heating up
Finished my left over sandwich from lunch
Glass of water with crystal light "to-go" limon lime flavoring

Evening time is the hardest time:
This is where it is the toughest for me. I ate dinner, I worked out, and now I have time to kill and I want just a little something to top off with. Oreo's are calling my name. Its getting late (after 8pm). I shouldn't have anything. This is when I should start thinking about what I could have that will tide me over and not ruin my healthy day. Maybe I will have some herbal tea...
________________________________________________________

Daily Exercise:
I had planned on running until I took the dogs to the park and realized it was in the 20's out. With the gusts of wind I knew that trying to run outside was going to be way more painful than healthy. Then it started snowing - running in the snow is asking for an injury.

I substituted my running with about 45 minutes on the XBOX playing Fighters Uncaged again. I graduated to a new boxing level, got my heart rate up, sweated and got a good full body conditioning work out.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I love ya!!! Diggin' the fact that you started a blog! I will be pimpin' you out, if you wish! I think a lot of my clients would love what you're doing! :)

    ReplyDelete